How to Care for Your Lips After Getting Fillers
With the cosmetic industry constantly offering new products and treatments, beauty trends and ideas are ever-changing. One trend that hasn’t gone out of style, however, is full and voluminous lips. In fact, more and more people are jumping on the bandwagon of getting lip fillers to achieve this certain facial aesthetic.
However, it’s important to take care of your lips in order to maintain the results you’re looking for. Read on for tips on how to prepare for lip injections as well as any important lip filler aftercare instructions. Let’s get started!
How to Prepare for Lip Fillers
Generally, getting lip fillers is not very painful. The extent of pain and discomfort varies from one person to another. It really depends on your pain tolerance level. However, the discomfort is quite manageable, especially if you follow the directions from the specialists.
For any type of cosmetic procedure, preparation is vital. There is not much that you’re required to do in preparation for lip fillers. The best means by which you can prepare is by staying hydrated. Drinking a few glasses of water in the hour leading up to your lip filler procedure. It isn’t a common occurrence, but some patients tend to feel faint during the application of lip fillers, so drinking up on water would help prevent this. Make sure to eat up before your treatment as well, as this could prevent faintness too.
Another important thing to note is that you’ll need to show up to your appointment without any makeup on, especially lipstick.
Finally, if you suffer from cold sores, you’ll need to let your injector know in advance. If this is the case, you will likely need to apply antiviral lip cream in the days leading up to the procedure and the days after it as well. The antiviral cream helps intercept the potential viral infection that causes cold sores.
Things that you should avoid before getting your lip fillers are medications that tend to increase the chances of bruising and bleeding. This includes painkillers such as aspirin and ibuprofen and supplements like fish oil. Steer clear of these for at least 3 to 5 days before the treatment. In contrast, if you are on doctor-prescribed blood thinners, it is advised to continue taking them. In such instances, it would not be recommended to undergo lip filler procedures.
Furthermore, if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, it would be a safer decision to postpone your lip filler treatments. This is because there is no solid medical evidence that states whether fillers are safe or dangerous to a child’s health.
In addition, your lips will definitely be swollen for a few days after the procedure. In some instances, the swelling can be severe enough for people to want to stay indoors for the time being. Make sure you don’t have any important events coming up within the next few weeks. You don’t want to be the one who shows up to your own wedding with swollen lips. It is highly recommended to keep your schedule clear until the swelling subsides entirely.
Lip Filler Aftercare
Once you’re done with your lip fillers, you may notice initial bruising and swelling. Within the first few hours, your lips will most likely still feel numb due to the anesthesia.
Follow the quick tips below to ensure that the entire process of your lip filler journey is safe and beautiful.
Do Not Touch Your Lips
Your lips will tend to feel quite tender and sore, but it is important to remember that you should refrain from touching them in order to avoid getting an infection.
You may be advised to avoid alcoholic beverages for at least 24 hours post-procedure.
Avoid Eating for a Few Hours
This is why it’s important to grab a bite to eat before heading to your lip filler appointment. You should avoid eating or drinking anything until the numbness of the anesthetic cream wears off. Keep in mind that the fillers themselves are also incorporated with local anesthetic, so it will take some time before you regain complete feeling in your lips. You don’t want to end up burning or biting your lips.
Use an Ice Compress
Once you regain sensation in your lips, you may feel discomfort to a certain extent. Try not to scratch or massage your lips, as this could lead to an infection. Since the lips are rich in blood and nerve supply, they tend to be susceptible to swelling.
To alleviate the soreness and swelling, apply some ice onto your lips. It truly works wonders. In the event that ice isn’t enough to manage the swelling, there are certain creams that can take the edge off the discomfort. Arnica cream, in particular, is effective for reducing the appearance of bruising.
Although very rare, some people’s lips swell to the point that they look like they were stung by a bee. In such cases, an over the counter antihistamine tablet or paracetamol should do the trick.
Take Care When Sleeping
Most doctors would recommend sleeping with a few pillows under your head, above the level of your heart. By elevating your head, excess fluid drains away from your lips, consequently diminishing the swelling.
Move Your Lips
Regardless of the fact that it may feel uncomfortable, it’s absolutely okay to move your lips and talk as much as you’d like.
Take it easy for 24 hours. This is a perfect excuse and opportunity to take a break from your daily jog in the park or your 10 mile run on the treadmill.
If you’ve got that vacation to your dream destination planned in the near future, you may want to consider rescheduling. To play it safe, most specialists strongly suggest avoiding flying for up to two weeks. The changes in air pressure could cause adverse effects on your newly modified lips.
Avoid Any Kinds of Laser Treatments
Just like with flying, it is recommended to refrain from undergoing any facial laser treatments for two weeks. The heat emitted from the lasers could break down the fillers and dissolve them faster than they usually would otherwise.
What Your Salt Intake
Eating large amounts of food that is high in salt content can easily cause dehydration to your lips. It would be best to abstain from delving into that bag of potato chips or salted popcorn for at least 24 hours.
Avoid Spicy Foods
Those spicy tacos are going to have to wait for two weeks or so because consuming them now could have adverse effects on your lips.
Specialists highly advise that people who just had their lips filled refrain from smoking. Moreover, it is important to avoid contact with second-hand smoke as well.
Drink plenty of water. It’s a simple yet extremely effective manner to keep your body hydrated while flushing out toxins.
Health is Wealth
Focus on consuming all healthy food. In cases like this, fruit and vegetables are the way to go. The vitamins and minerals present in healthy food aid in speeding up the healing process exponentially.
Excessively hot temperatures can aggravate your lips. Keep yourself safe from hot temperatures for 24 to 48 hours after your lip filler procedure.
Your Lip Filler Results
Other cosmetic procedures may take anywhere between two days to two weeks to exhibit visible results. With lip fillers, however, you will see results instantly. You will definitely notice immediate changes in volume and texture.
Take note that there may be slight asymmetry in the first few hours. In case this happens, don’t fret! This is usually due to the lips swelling or bruising in one area more than the other. Another great advantage of lip fillers is that it doesn’t merely render instant plumping effects; the fillers also attract water. They attract water molecules, which expands the tissue further.
In a nutshell, carefully following our simple lip filler recovery tips listed above will ensure that your newly filled lips feel healthy and comfortable, and look absolutely natural and beautiful.
Get the Lips You’ve Always Dreamed Of
If you’re looking to achieve natural-looking plump lips, look no further than McLean Clinic in Mississauga! We can help you achieve the desired aesthetics you’ve always wanted with our non-surgical lip enhancement treatments. Contact us today.
Leave A Comment
- How Pregnancy Affects Tummy Tuck Procedures
- Causes of Gynecomastia in Men
- Everything You Need to Know About Liposuction and Cellulite
- Answering The Most Commonly Asked Questions About Botox
- Answering Your Lip Filler FAQs
- The Ultimate Guide to Laser Skin Resurfacing
- How Do Face Lifts Work?
- How to Take Care of Your Skin After a Chemical Peel
- How to Restore Collagen in the Face
- How to Care for Your Lips After Getting Fillers
- The Types and Benefits of a Facelift
- The Best Fat Removal Procedures
- The Most Common Types of Chemical Peels
- 5 Treatments for Hyperpigmentation
- The Benefits of Chemical Peel
- Losing Weight After Liposuction
- Cosmetic Nose Job VS Medical Nose Job
- Most Common Plastic Surgery Procedures
- Plastic Surgery vs Cosmetic Surgery: What’s the Difference?
- When Should You Get a Facelift?
- Testosterone and FTM Top Surgery
- What to Avoid After Getting Botox Injections
- 3 Common Reasons for a Nose Job
- How Long It Takes to Recover From Plastic Surgery
- The Benefits of Microneedling
- 10 Celebrities Who Denied Plastic Surgery Rumours
- 6 Celebrities’ Cosmetic Skin Treatments
- 8 Celebrities Before and After Plastic Surgery
- Cosmetic Scar Treatments
- The Best Fine Lines and Wrinkles Treatments
- How Long Does Plastic Surgery Last?
- Top 5 Questions to Ask During Your Plastic Surgery Consultation
- The Best Age to Get a Rhinoplasty
- Everything You Need to Know About a Mini Facelift
- How to Prevent Scarring After Plastic Surgery
- Cosmetic Treatments You Can Still Enjoy While Pregnant
- What Can I Expect During Corrective Plastic Surgery?
- K-Beauty Plastic Surgery Trends of 2019
- Is Sex Better After Cosmetic Surgery?
- 8 Myths About Breast Augmentation
- 8 Celebrities You Never Knew Had Cosmetic Surgery
- Does Plastic Surgery Improve Self-Esteem?
- Why You Deserve a Mommy Makeover
- What Is a ‘Lift Edge’ Filler?
- Top Cosmetic Procedure Trends from Around the World
- Should You Combine Plastic Surgery Procedures?
- Cosmetic Treatments for Your Hands
- Top 5 Methods to Remove Facial Hair
- Why ‘Daddy Do-Over’ Cosmetic Surgery Is Such a Big Hit
- 8 Myths About Tummy Tucks
- 7 Habits That Are Causing Your Boobs to Sag
- How Long Until I’m Back in the Gym After My Cosmetic Surgery?
- What Breast Sensation Can I Expect After Augmentation Surgery?
- Which Facial Filler Is Right for Me?
- Laser Treatment Options for Age Spots
- Hollywood Celebrities Influencing the World of Non-Surgical Cosmetic Treatments
- Popular “Lunchtime” Procedures
- Best Procedures for Sagging Skin
- Are You a Good Cosmetic Surgery Candidate?
- 5 Cosmetic Procedures to Help You Achieve Your Desired Body
- Laser, Waxing and Electrolysis – Which One Is Best for Me?
- Top 10 Most Popular Cosmetic Treatments for Men
- Can Bad Plastic Surgery Be Fixed?
- How to Handle Excessive Sweating
- Will a breast augmentation increase my risk of breast cancer?
- How to Protect Skin from Sun Damage
- 10 Things to Ask Your Cosmetic Surgeon
- Are You A Good Cosmetic Surgery Candidate?
- 10 Things To Ask During Your First Consultation
- Celebrities And Their Favourite Cosmetic Procedures
- Which Season Is the Best Time to Start Laser Hair Removal?
- 5 Red Flags to Look out for When Picking a Plastic Surgeon
- How to Prepare for Your Upcoming Plastic Surgery
- Chemical Peels for Sun Damage
- Is Plastic Surgery Tourism A Good Idea?
- What Is Collagen And What Are Ways To Stimulate Collagen Production?
- 5 Ways To Help To Prevent Premature Wrinkles
- How To Enhance Your Facelift
- How To Choose The Size And Shape Of Your Breast Implants
- Top 5 Tips For Quick Rhinoplasty Recovery
- Top Cosmetic Treatments For Women In Their 60s
- Top Cosmetic Treatments For Women In Their 30s
- Debunking Common Facelift Myths
- Differences between CoolSculpting, Liposuction, and Tummy Tucks
- Can I Wear Makeup After Eyelid Surgery?
- Common Risks Of Facial Plastic Surgery
- Everything You Need To Know About Lip Fillers
- Reasons To Consider A Breast Reduction
- What Is The Recovery Time On A Breast Augmentation?
- Saline VS Silicone Implants
- The Difference Between Botox, Restylane and Juvederm
- Debunking 10 Common Rhinoplasty Myths
- What Age Should I Get A Facelift?
- How Can I Benefit From Combining My Eyelid and Brow Lift Surgery?
- Must Try Laser Treatments This Winter
- How To Prepare For Laser Hair Removal
- Drop and Fluff: The Recovery Timeline of Your Breast Augmentation
- What Is The Difference Between Over-The-Counter Skin Care and Medical Grade Skin Care?
- Plastic Surgery By Age
- Surgical vs. Non-Surgical Liposuction
- When Do I Get a Full Facelift or a Mini Facelift?
- Your Tummy Tuck Handbook
- 8 Unique Uses For Dermal Fillers
- Top 5 Most Popular Plastic Surgeries
- The Secret To Flawless Skin with Chemical Peels
- The Non-Surgical Nose Job
- 5 Things To Know Before Getting A Breast Augmentation
- What’s The Difference Between a Tummy Tuck and Liposuction?
- Can I Breastfeed After a Breast Augmentation Surgery?
- Laser Hair Removal vs. Waxing
- How To Determine The Best Rhinoplasty Surgeon For You
- What are the best treatments for acne scars?
- 9 Facts About Cosmetic Surgery You Should Know
- Most Common Plastic Surgery Procedures for Men
- 3 Things You Should Never Lie To Your Plastic Surgeon About
- 5 Tips For Maintaining Liposuction Results
- 6 Reasons To Consider A Breast Reduction
- 5 Tips For Maintaining Your Cosmetic Surgery Results
- Why Winter Is The Best Time For Skin Laser Treatment
- 6 Things To Look For During Your Cosmetic Consultation
- 5 Habits That Accelerate The Signs Of Aging
- Important Lip Care Tips After Fillers
- Upgrade Your Skin Care Regimen In 2018
- CoolSculpting Or Liposuction: Which One Is Right For You?
- 4 Reasons To Get Rid Of Unwanted Hair In The Winter
- How Long Will A Non-Surgical Facelift Last?
- 5 Reasons Droopy Eyelids Are Affecting Your Confidence
- Do Natural Breast Enhancement Exercises Work?
- Are You Susceptible To Lines And Wrinkles?
- How To Get Rid Of Bags Under Your Eyes
- Seven Ways To Slow Down Your Skin’s Aging Process
- Four Ways To Combat Excessive Sweating
- How Long Do Lip Injections Last?
- What Is The Criteria For A Breast Reduction To Be Medically Necessary?
- How Your Skin Ages Throughout The Decades
- Mommy Makeover: The Most Common Procedures
- Why Non Surgical Face Lifts Are Totally Safe
- How To Know If Laser Hair Removal Is Right For You
- What’s The Recovery Like For Breast Augmentation Surgery?
- 10 Questions To Ask Your Surgeon Before Eye Lift Surgery
- Implants After Breastfeeding: 5 Things To Know
- The Best Procedures To Improve Facial Symmetry
- 5 Non-Invasive Procedures That Get Rid Of A Double Chin
- Are Lip Fillers Right For You?
- Can A Breast Reduction Help With Neck Pain?
- Do Face-Lift Exercises Really Work?
- What To Expect During Blepharoplasty Surgery
- What Does Your Partner Think About Your Body Hair?
- What To Expect After Laser Hair Removal
- Can A Breast Reduction Reduce The Risk Of Cancer?
- Seven Reasons Why Collagen Lip Fillers Are Being Replaced By Juvederm
- 6 Facial Plastic Surgeries That Make You Look Younger
- What’s The Difference Between Upper And Lower Blepharoplasty?
- 8 Benefits Of An Arm Lift
- Aesthetic Vs. Deep Chemical Peel: What’s The Difference?
- How Often Do You Need Lip Injections?
- 10 Celebrities Who Had Breast Reduction Surgery
- All About Lip Injections For Men
- Five Exercises To Lift Your Eyes
- Laser Hair Removal For Blonde Hair: 5 Things To Know
- Recovery Tips After Breast Reduction Surgery
- 10 Celebrities Who Have Had Eyelift Surgery
- Home Care After Juvederm Lip Injections
- The Best Time Of Year For Laser Hair Removal
- Five Tips For Faster Recovery After An Arm Lift Procedure
- How The Brow Lift Procedure Helps To Keep You Looking Young
- Getting Ready For A Tummy Tuck After Pregnancy? Here Are Five Things You Need To Know
- Excessive Sweating? Know The Changes In Your Body
- Vitamins And Herbs That Interfere With Your Plastic Surgery
- Is Excessive Sweating Common In Diabetic Patients?
- Can Botox Help With Acne Scarring?
- How To Know If You’re A Candidate For Coolsculpting
- List Of Top Celebrities With Hyperhidrosis
- Is It Safe To Have Blepharoplasty After LASIK?
- Main Differences Between Male And Female Breast Reduction
- Dos And Don’ts Of Selecting A Bra After Breast Augmentation
- Seven Foods And Beverages That Cause Excessive Sweating
- Exercising After Liposuction: Everything You Need To Know
- Seven Causes Of Sagging Skin
- Tips For Updating Your Wardrobe After A Breast Lift
- 5 Myths About Eyelid Surgery
- Can I Have Breast Augmentation Surgery If I Have A Heart Murmur?
- How Long After Laser Hair Removal Can I Tan?
- How To Reduce Bruising And Swelling After Breast Augmentation Surgery
- 5 Things To Consider Before Thermage Treatment
- How To Enhance Your Eyes
- 5 Benefits Of Levulan Photodynamic Therapy
- 5 Habits That Cause Breasts To Sag
- 5 Ways To Get Your Dream Body
- Can Botox Help Prevent Wrinkles In Younger Patients?
- Health Benefits Of Combining Procedures
- Do Patients Ever Experience Vision Problems After Eyelid Surgery?
- How Does CoolSculpting Get Such Dramatic Results Without Being Invasive?
- 6 Ways You Can Enhance Your Backside
- Why Botox Treatments Are Safer Than You Think
- How Your Diet Needs To Change Before Facelift Surgery
- What’s The Best Way To Reduce Scarring?
- How Are Lip Implants Done?
- 5 New Cosmetic Treatments That Are Hot In Canada
- How Breast Reductions Affect Your Physical Health
- Male Celebrities You Didn’t Know Had Cosmetic Procedures
- Best Post-Baby Bodies In Hollywood
- 5 Celebrities Who Look Younger Than They Are
- Best Butt Augmentations In Hollywood
- Which Celebrities Get Lip Injections?
- What Plastic Surgery Has Olivia Munn Undergone?
- What Cosmetic Treatment Has Courteney Cox Had?
- 3 Stars You Didn’t Know Had Butt Implants
- When Did Blake Lively Get Her Nose Job?
- 7 Fans Who Have Had Plastic Surgery To Look Like Their Favourite Celebrities
- Has Diane Keaton Gotten A Face Lift?
- How Does Jennifer Lopez Not Age?
- 90’s Pop Stars: Which Ones Have Had Plastic Surgery?
- Does Blake Shelton Get Botox?
- What Plastic Surgeries Have the Real Housewives Had?
- 3 Ways To Improve Your Appearance In 2016
- Who Are The Youngest Celebrities To Get Plastic Surgery?
- Has Gwen Stefani Had Plastic Surgery?
- 3 Celebrity Moms Who Had A Tummy Tuck
- What Is Hand Rejuvenation?
- 6 Celebrities Who Got Plastic Surgery When They Were Young
- How To Get Rid Of The Scars After Surgery?
- 6 Upcoming Trends In Cosmetic Procedures
- Like Mother, Like Daughter: Celebrity Moms Who Look Just Like Their Daughters
- Three Of The Best Botox Results In Famous Men
- Which Kardashians Have Butt Implants?
- Can I Tattoo Over My Scars?
- Pop Stars And Plastic Surgery: What Have They Had?
- 5 Celebrities You Didn’t Know Had Plastic Surgery
- 3 Celebrities Who Don’t Age
- 3 Best Male Plastic Surgery Before And Afters
- Which ‘Friends’ Stars Have Had Plastic Surgery?
- Best Celebrity Nose Jobs
- 5 Celebs who went Plastic Surgery Overboard
- 5 Best Celebrity Before and After’s
- Have All The Kardashian Sisters Had Plastic Surgery?
- Did Chris Pratt Get Plastic Surgery?
- 4 Ways Megan Fox Changed Her Look
- 18 Older Celebrities With Great Plastic Surgery
- What Plastic Surgery Has Kylie Jenner Had Done?
- Understanding Renee Zellweger’s New Look
- 10 Benefits Of 3 Day Face Lifts
- What Is Levulan PDT?
- Getting Back In Shape After Pregnancy
- Exercising Tips After Tummy Tuck Surgery
- Best Methods To Remove Facial Hair
- Four Ways to Make your Eyes Bigger
- What is Thermage?
- Is it Safe to Breastfeed after Getting Implants?
- Cosmetic Surgery and the Summer: What to Know before Your Procedure
- What Is A Puppet Facelift?
- Plastic Surgery FAQs
- Can Teenagers Get Plastic Surgery?
- Will I Stop Sweating Completely After Excessive Sweating Treatments?
- Will Laser Treatment Get Rid My Acne Scars?
- Can I Tan After An Epidermal Peel?
- Ways To Enhance Your Nose Job
- 4 Different Ways to Enhance your Lips
- What Is ProFractional Therapy?
- How does FTM Top Surgery Differ from a Breast Reduction?
- Are Laser Hair Removal Results Immediate?
- Will Getting Pregnant Change the Look of my Breast Implants?
- What to Know Before Beginning Botox Treatments
- How to Reduce The Appearance of “Turkey Neck”
- How Long is the Recovery Time of a Face Lift?
- New Trends: Cosmetic Surgery on your Hands
- Most Popular Cosmetic Surgeries for Men
- Can you Tighten your Skin without Surgery?
- Can you get Areola Reduction Surgery?
- How Long Should You Take Testosterone After FTM Surgery?
- Volbella: A New Way to Make Lips Fuller and More Attractive
- When Can I Swim After Surgery?
- How do I Care for My Breasts After I Have an Augmentation?
- How Common is Plastic Surgery Today as Opposed to 10 or 20 Years Ago?
- Can I Breastfeed After Having a Breast Reduction?
- Is Face Yoga the New Alternative to Botox?
- How Old are Most Women Who Undergo a Mommy Makeover?
- What are SkinCeuticals and Where Can I Get Them in Canada?
- Diet Tips for After Your Cosmetic Surgery?
- Nine Celebrities With Amazing Eyes
- Tips for Otoplasty Surgery Preparation and Recovery
- Can I Get A Brow Lift Effect From Dermal Fillers?
- What Are The Most Popular Plastic Surgeries For Moms?
- Why do Men Love Breasts So Much?
- 5 Celebrities Who Have Had Plastic Surgery
- How Long Should I Wait After Surgery to Work Out?
- How Long After Surgery Until I Can Have Sex?
- How to Stop Excessive Sweating
- Are Celebrity Excuses for Plastic Surgery Legit?
- Will Having Plastic Surgery Improve my Sex Life?
- What Makes a Good Candidate for Eyelid Surgery?
- Are Silicone Implants Safe for the Body?
- Busting the Top 7 Myths About Facelifts
- Trillium Health Partners Foundation Thanks Dr. McLean’s For His Philanthropic Contributions!
- Skin Tightening with Thermage CPT
- FTM Female to Male Surgery
- Three Day Face Lift
- How has Breast Augmentation Become Safer Over Time?
- How soon after my baby can I get a Mommy Makeover?
- Popular non-surgical / non-invasive cosmetic procedures
- Can I Have a Baby After I Have a Tummy Tuck?
- Injectable Fillers
- A Message From Dr. Hugh McLean
- Toronto & Mississauga Plastic & Cosmetic Surgery Clinic
- Arm Lift
- Blepharoplasty Surgery
- Breast implants
- Breast Lift
- Breast Reduction Surgery
- Brow Lift
- Butt Implant
- Chemical Peel
- Cosmetic Consultation
- Cosmetic Procedure
- Cosmetic Surgery
- Enhance Backside
- Enhance Your Eyes
- Excessive Sweating
- Eye Lid Surgery
- Face Lift
- General Category
- Hair Removal
- Health Tips
- Healthy Tips
- Laser Hair Removal
- Lip Injections
- McLean Clinic
- Mommy Makeover
- Nose Job
- Photodynamic Therapy
- plastic surgery
- ProFractional Laser Treatment
- Reduce scarring
- Sagging Skin
- Skin Care
- Tummy Tuck
- August 2020
- July 2020
- June 2020
- May 2020
- April 2020
- March 2020
- February 2020
- January 2020
- December 2019
- November 2019
- October 2019
- September 2019
- August 2019
- July 2019
- June 2019
- May 2019
- April 2019
- March 2019
- February 2019
- January 2019
- December 2018
- October 2018
- September 2018
- August 2018
- July 2018
- June 2018
- February 2018
- January 2018
- December 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
- September 2016
- August 2016
- July 2016
- June 2016
- May 2016
- April 2016
- March 2016
- February 2016
- January 2016
- December 2015
- November 2015
- October 2015
- September 2015
- August 2015
- July 2015
- June 2015
- May 2015
- April 2015
- March 2015
- December 2014
- November 2014
- October 2014
- September 2014
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- September 2011