What it is
Juvederm is a hyaluronic acid based facial filler that can be used as a way to temporarily reverse the signs of aging by correcting the wrinkles, folds, and hollowness that form as we get older. Hyaluronic acid is a natural substance found in our bodies and has the amazing ability to absorb 100 times its weight in water. This means that it will instantly smooth out facial wrinkles, hydrate the skin, and restore any lost volume in the face. As the number one facial filler recommended by doctors in Canada, Juvederm is the most widely used and the most popular facial filler guaranteed to give you great results.
Juvederm fillers can be used for a variety of procedures including the treatment of:
- Reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles - A quick and painless 15-20 minute procedure with Juvederm fillers will restore the youthful radiance of the complexion by reversing signs of aging.
- Aging hands - Fillers can be used to correct and replace the volume in the back of your hands as the veins, bones, and ligaments become more prominent as we age.
- Volume loss - Juvederm injections will restore lost volume in the treated areas by filling in the space caused by lines or wrinkles.
- Under eye bags - The Juvederm dermal filler will replace lost volume under the eyes, reducing their hollowed appearance and the bags that may appear.
- Non-Surgical Nose Reshaping - Juvederm fillers can be used to temporarily fix minor imperfections in the nose profile, including smoothing out a bump or raising the nose bridge.
How to Prepare
In preparation for your Juvederm fillers, avoid taking aspirin, ibuprofen, or anything similar (ie: Advil, Motrin, Aleve) for two weeks prior to your appointment. This will help limit the chance of bruising after the procedure. You will also be required to wash your face before receiving your injections and all makeup, lotion, or creams will be removed. You may re-apply as normal after your session.
How It Works
There is a wide range of Juvederm fillers that can be customized according to your needs and the results that you desire.
- Juvederm Volift is used to reduce the appearance of smile lines (the nasolabial fold) that runs in the crevice from the bottom of the nose to the corner of the mouth. After the initial treatment, it can last up to 2 years.
- Juvederm Volbella is used to plump up the lips by restoring lost volume and shape. It has been clinically proven to last up to 1 year with a single treatment and is the only product that has this kind of longevity.
- Juvederm Voluma provides a natural and smooth lift for the cheeks and chin by restoring volume in these areas for up to 2 years.
- Juvederm Ultra and Ultra Plus XC has one of the smoothest consistencies to reduce the appearance of lines that emerge around the mouth and nose. It has the lasting power of 1 year after your first treatment.
Juvederm is a simple and easy procedure that can be completed in the comfort of our office with results that can last up to 2 years. Not only does it work on a short-term basis to smooth out facial lines, Juvederm will benefit your skin because it works on a long term basis too. The hyaluronic acid is beneficial in hydrating the layers of the skin and overtime, your body’s natural production of collagen will be stimulated at the injection sites. This will help fight any future signs of aging. Juvederm will leave you feeling more confident in the skin you’re in and help you look younger.
Juvederm fillers can be paired with other types of injectables
, such as Botox, to maximize its effectiveness. It can also be used as a non-surgical option for nose reshaping to improve the nose profile, such as smoothing out a bump on the nose bridge or other minor imperfections. If you wish to combine your Juvederm injections with any additional procedures, please speak to Dr. McLean in advance to discuss the best ways to do so.
Aftercare and Recovery
Juvederm injections are a very common, safe, and quick procedure. Typically completed in under 20 minutes, there is minimal downtime associated with the procedure and you can quickly return to your day to day activities. However, we recommend our patients to avoid the following activities:
- Rigorous and strenuous exercise on your procedure day
- Face-down massages should be avoided for at least 2 weeks post-procedure
We recommend the application of ice to the treated area immediately after your procedure to reduce any swelling that may occur.
You may experience mild swelling, redness, tenderness, or bruising at the injection site for a few days after your procedure. This is completely normal and should resolve on its own within a few hours or days. You may find it helpful to apply ice or a cold compress to reduce swelling immediately after receiving your Juvederm treatment.
Myths and Facts
There is a common misconception that dermal fillers such as Juvederm are not safe. This is not true. Juvederm is derived from hyaluronic acid, which is a naturally occurring substance in the human body that protects skin tissue by maintaining healthy hydration levels. Juvederm is produced biosynthetically and does not contain animal substances, which means that it does not require allergy testing. At your consultation, Dr. McLean will discuss all the details that are unique to each and every patient and you can rest assured that your questions and potential concerns will be answered.