Why Do I Have Lines & Wrinkles?
Much to our dismay, we all develop lines, wrinkles and furrows. Some of us begin noticing these changes in the mirror throughout our twenties. By the time we reach our forties and fifties, fine lines and wrinkles can appear deeper, folds around our mouths and nose often become more prominent and cheeks tend to look more hollow.
Facial lines and wrinkles are caused by a variety of factors, some that are not even in our control! Genetics, the aging process, repetitive muscle movement and gravity often work against us. Poor skin health, not drinking enough water and smoking also contribute to the negative effects of aging skin.
What Treatments Are There For Lines and Wrinkles?
When it comes to fighting the signs of aging, the treatment options available in today’s market are endless. Simple and cost-effective ways to maintain our youth include staying out of the sun, eating well, not smoking and getting enough rest. When that’s not enough, it may be time to consider some of the solutions below:
- Botox is a medically refined substance that relaxes the muscles responsible for causing lines, furrows, or other unwanted appearances. It is injected with very fine needles and is commonly used to relax the muscles that cause crow’s feet around the eyes or frown lines between the eyebrows. It can also be used to soften the tiny lines around the mouth, often referred to as “smoker`s lines”. The effects of Botox may take 1 to 14 days to appear and generally last 4 months. Botox has been used for over 20 years in the effective treatment of many medical conditions. While it is considered relatively safe and effective, potential side effects of Botox can include bruising, swelling and localized pain at the injection site. In rare instances an adjacent muscle may be affected resulting in an unwanted effect such as a drooping eyelid. Other serious adverse reactions such as difficulty swallowing are rarely reported and are listed in Botox’s official drug monograph.
- Injectable fillers such as Juvederm or Voluma are used to enhance thinning lips and fill out deeper lines and wrinkles around the nose and mouth. It can also be used for volumizing and contouring of the cheek and jaw line. Injectable fillers used at McLean Clinic are composed of hyaluronic acid (HA) – a naturally occurring substance in our bodies that keeps our skin looking hydrated and plump. The amount of HA in our skin reduces as we age, causing volume loss, lines and wrinkles. Injectable fillers are a safe and effective way to replenish the HA our skin has lost. Injections can be performed in as little as 30 minutes and most of our fillers now contain Lidocaine, reducing pain within seconds. Results are immediate and can last up to 9 to 12 months. Redness, swelling and/or discomfort can occur. Any bruising at the injection site usually disappears within 7 to 10 days.
- Skin Resurfacing treatments such as Microdermabrasion, Epidermal Peels and ProFractional can be used to treat fine lines and wrinkles, especially those found around the eyes and mouth. These techniques peel off the top layers of the skin (epidermis), promoting collagen production and adding firmness to the skin. These treatments improve the skin’s texture resulting in a smoother complexion. While skin resurfacing procedures are considered safe when performed by a trained professional, there is a slight risk of scarring, discoloration of the skin, swelling and redness.
- Broad Band Light/ Photorejuvenation targets age spots, sun damage and uneven skin texture. As we age, our lose collagen and elasticity in our skin and fine lines and wrinkles begin to appear. The heat and light from the laser stimulates skin cells in order to produce new collagen resulting in a firmer complexion. Your skin will feel smoother and fine lines will be less noticeable.Photorejuvenation is a safe and effective procedure when performed by a trained professional. Mild bruising, redness and swelling can occur in some cases and typically resolve on their own.
- Medical-grade skin care is an important part of any facial rejuvenation program. At McLean Clinic, we offer the latest and most effective prescription skin care lines such as Obagi’s Nu-Derm System and ZO Skin Health Care by ZeinObagi, MD. By following a program of prevention, protection and correction, you will repair the damage from the past and slow down the aging process going forward. All our medical-grade skin care products emphasize cellular turnover and boost collagen formation. Skin is stronger and more resilient with fewer lines and wrinkles.
At McLean Clinic, we offer a wide variety of the safest and most effective non-surgical solutions to improve the effects of facial aging. During your consultation, we will work with you to develop a custom-tailored treatment plan based on your specific needs, budget and comfort level.
Book a Cosmetic Consultation